Through the awesome power of They Work For You, I have made this handy table, to compare Boris’ and Hunt’s voting records…let’s see if there’s any differences…
As Boris was Mayor of London from 2008 – 2016, he wouldn’t have voted during that time… so for anything saying ‘no vote’ rather than ‘absent’, that’s why.
|Same sex marriage (2013)||No vote||For|
|Same sex marriage in the armed forces |
living outside of the UK (2014)
|Smoking ban in public houses |
and private members clubs (2010)
|Repealing the 1998 Human Rights Bill (2016)||No vote||For|
|Retaining the EU Charter |
of Fundamental Rights (2018)
|Assisted dying (2015)||Against||Against|
|Raise of tuition fees to £9,000 per year (2010)||No vote*||For|
|Scrapping the EMA |
(Education Maintenance Allowance) (2011)
|Vote to turn all primary and secondary schools |
into academies (2016)
|Renewing Trident (2015)||For||For|
|Bedroom Tax (2014)||No vote||For|
|Mansion Tax (2013)||No vote||Against|
|Reduction of corporation tax (2016)||For||For|
|Lowering the voting age to 16 (2015)||Against||Against|
|Vote to set a decarbonisation target for the UK within |
six months of June 2016 (2016)
|Keeping information on people’s internet usage (2016)||For||For|
|Inquiry into the Iraq war (2003)||For||No vote+|
*Although not an MP at the time, Boris had previously voted against increasing fees.
+Hunt wasn’t an MP yet, but he did vote for further investigations in 2006.
Generally, when both are present, Hunt and Boris vote the same way. However, here are some observations:
- I find it a little disconcerting that our PM could be someone who we don’t know how they’d vote on certain issues such as same sex marriage or human rights.
- Then again, Hunt voted in favour of repealing the Human Rights Bill, so there’s that.
- They both voted against environmental issues, which is a HOT topic right now.
- As something that is near my heart, turning all schools into academies is a bad and frankly selfish idea. So they can both burn for that one.
- Hunt voted FOR bedroom tax and AGAINST mansion tax. So however much we might not want Boris, but let’s all remember that Hunt isn’t exactly better.
- They both voted for Trident, but against assisted dying…
So basically, there’s no good here. How depressing.